COLLEGE ACTIVITIES – 2016-17
We are pride to place on record the following activities of our college during the academic year 2016-17
Students Performance in the University Examination April 2016
|B.Sc. Nutrition Food Service Management and Dietetics||94.74|
|B.Sc. Computer Science||93.48|
|M.Sc. Applied Microbiology||85.71|
|M.Sc. Computer Science||100|
|M.Sc. Foods & Nutrition||100|
|M.Phil. Computer Science||100|
|M.Phil. Management studies||100|
Scholarship Amount Disbursed:
|Community||No. of Students benefited||Amount in Rs.|
Management cash awards
The Management had distributed cash awards on 41st convocation day to the toppers in autonomous exams and the Departments which produced 100% results, to the tune of Rs. 4,94,000/-
Cash award of Rs. 87,940/- was disbursed to the students as proficiency prizes during college day.
The management was kind enough to present a cash award of Rs.49,175 to the meritorious students during teacher’s day.
To encourage sports students, the University Blues were awarded Rs. 1,31,000/- as cash.
M.A. History and M.Sc. Zoology courses were started in this academic year. Also I am happy to inform that the Department of Biochemistry and Foods & Nutrition got Ph.D. centre recognition which is one of the milestone of DKMC.
Add on Courses
- Department of Commerce has conducted an Add on Certificate course on Salesmanship and certificate course in Accounting and Taxation.
- Department of Zoology conducted an Add on Certificate course on Medical Lab Technology.
- Department of History and Economics have conducted an Add on Certificate course on E-Tourism, Functional Hindi, Soft Skill and Epigraphy.
- Department of Chemistry conducted a certificate course in Water Analysis and Treatment.
- Department of Mathematics conducted an Add on certificate Course Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning and Interview Training in association with T.I.M.E institute.
The following faculty members are retiring during this academic year 2016-
Dr.S.Mythili, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Commerce is retiring on 31.05.2017 and Tmt. T. Vasantha, Lab. Assistant (special grade) is retiring on 31.03.2017.
Appointments during 2016-17
The following teaching and non-teaching staff have been appointed in this academic year.
- Manimozhi, Assistant Professor of English
- Sarathy, Assistant Professor of English
- C.Vinothini, Assistant Professor of Physics
- Dr Jabena begam, Assistant Professor of Physics
- S. Sashikala, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- M.Vanitha, Assistant Professor of History
- T. Bharthi, Assistant Professor of Commerce
- V. Rekha, Assistant Professor of Zoology
- A. Vinodhini, Assistant Professor of Zoology
- G. Shanthi, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- S. Thamarai Selvi, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- S.Sasikala, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- T. Bharathi Junior Assistant
- M.R. Kamesh Typist
- R. Indirajith, Typist
- K. Jayavel, Lab Assistant
- S. Sasikala, Lab Assistant
- G. Innisai, Lab Assistant
- R. Karpoora Sundra Pandian, Record Clerk
- K. Saravanan, Office Assistant
Ph.D Awardees(Staff Members)
The following faculty members have been awarded Ph.D. degree during this academic year. I congratulate all the staff members for this great achievement.
- R. Banumathi, Associate Professor of Economics
- A. Sudarvizhi, Assistant Professor of Commerce
- K. Vijayalakshmi, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- S. Asha, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry
- J. Sonya, Assistant Professor of Nutrition
- G. Bhavani, Assistant Professor of Commerce
Ph.D Awardees (Research Scholars)
- 4 research scholars were awarded Ph.D degree under the guidance of Dr.P.N.Sudha and 3 research scholars have submitted their thesis.
- 3 research scholars were awarded Ph.D degree under the guidance of Dr.S.Mythili and 3 research scholars have submitted their thesis.
Faculty members submitted their Ph.D thesis
- D.Sasikala, Assistant Professor of Tamil
Faculty members passed SET/NET
- Dr. T. Gomathi, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Mrs. J. Saranya, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Dr.S.Sashikala, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- G.Nithya, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry
- Dr.J.Hemapriya, Assistant Professor of Microbiology
- Mrs.S.Aruna Devi, Assistant Professor of Microbiology
- Mrs. A.Barathi, Assistant Professor of Microbiology
- Ms.M.Arthi, Assistant Professor of Microbiology
- Dr. G. Bhavani, Assistant Professor of Commerce
- Mrs. C. Sumitha, Assistant Professor of Commerce
- Mrs. K. Tamil Selvi, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- Mrs. V. Geetha, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- Mrs. M. Ponni, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- Mrs. A. Uma Mageshwari, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- Mrs. R. Shankareshwari, Assistant Professor of Tamil
- Mrs. B. Arulmozhi, Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Mrs. S. Shanthi, Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Ms. D. Saranya, Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Mrs. B. Vijayalakshmi, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Dr. J. Sonya, Assistant Professor of Foods and Nutrition
- 29 staff members are acting as guides for M.Phil and Ph.D research work
Total Research grants received
|Name of the staff||Year||Name of the project||Funding agency||Amount
|Dr. P.N. Sudha,
|2016 – 2019||WTI (Water technology Initiative): Development of nanochitosan / montmorillonite clay/polyvinyl alcohol nanofiltration mats for heavy metal containing tannery effluent treatment||Department of Science and Technology (DST)||37,35,000|
Assistant Professor of Microbiology
|2016-2018||Synthesis of Bioplastics using poly hydroxy butyrate from Actinobacteria, evaluation of its biodegradation and in vitro ecotoxicity in plants||UGC Minor project||75,000|
Assistant Professor of Biochemistry
|2016-2018||Comparison of Cardioprotective effect of ethanolic extracts of Marine algae Sargassum swartzii, Ulva lactuca and Gracilaria corticata against Isoproterenol induced Myocardial Infarction||UGC Minor project||2,15,000|
Faculty improvement programme (Refresher course/Orientation Course)
|S.No||Name & Designation||Type of faculty programme|
|1.||Dr.D.Sasikala, Assistant Professor of Zoology||Refresher course at University of Madras, Chennai from 15.09.2016 to 5.10.2016|
|2.||Dr.M.Jayasudha, Assistant Professor of Economics||NSS Orientation Programme, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai from 23.2.2017 to 1.3.2017|
Assistant Professor of Commerce
|Refresher course at University of Madras conducted by HRDC from 03.08.2016 to 23.08.2016|
Assistant Professor of History
|Refresher course at University of Madras from 20.05.2016 to 9.06.2016|
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Professor of History
Assistant Professor of Commerce
Dr. M. Manimozhi
Assistant Professor of English
|Orientation Programme at Pondicherry University
2.11.2016 to 29.11.2016
Assistant Professor of English
|Orientation course University of Madras, Chennai from 05.05.2016 to 01.06.2016|
Assistant Professor of Zoology
Assistant Professor of Zoology
Assistant Professor of Physics,
Assistant Professor of Tamil
Assistant Professor of Tamil
Assistant Professor of Tamil
Assistant Professor of History
|Orientation course at Sri Venkateswara University, Thirupathi, from 16.11.2016 to 13.12.2016|
Honours / Awards to the Faculty
|Name of the Staff||Department||Type of Honours / Awards and Name of the Institution
Inducted the award
|Dr. K. Devi and Ms. T. Veni||Associate Professor of Zoology||Best Teaching and Research Award from GRABS Educational Charitable Trust, Chennai|
|Dr.G.Sujatha||Assistant Professor of Tamil||1. Aakathiyar Viruthu and Medal from Akaththiya Mamunivar kalai Ilakkiya Panpattu Research Centre, Akastheswaram, Kumari District
2. Kavi Bharathi Virudhu, Medal and Shield form Kurinji Kabilar Tamil Sangam, Namakkal
3. The Best Women Literary Writer Award from The World Tamil Literary Conference 2016
|Dr.G. Shanthi, Dr.S.Thamarai Selvi, and
|Assistant Professor of Tamil||Aakathiyar Viruthu from Akaththiya Mamunivar kalai Ilakkiya Panpattu Research Centre, Akastheswaram, Kumari District|
|Dr. A.Vidhya||Assistant Professor of Microbiology||Best Paper award in the National level seminar
Adhiparasakthi college of science, Kalavai
|Assistant Professor of Chemistry||Best Poster Presentation in the National Conference on new trends in Biomedical and pharmaceutical applications of marine natural products (NCMNP-2016), Satyabama University, Chennai|
|Dr.J. Hemapriya||Assistant Professor of Microbiology||Best Poster award in International conference, Department of Biotechnology, Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore.|
Dr.V. Geetha, Dr.G.P.
Dhatchayani, Ms.S.Kavitha and Mrs.R.Sankareswari
|Assistant Professor of Tamil||1. Shield from Kaviarasu Kalai Tamizh Sangam, Naamakkal
2. Kalvi Sevaga Kalai Mani Virudhu from Karanthai Tamizh Sangam, Thiruvaiyaru
3. Urai Tamizh Oli Virudhu
I am proud to say that all the 15 departments of our college conducted seminars, conferences, workshops, symposium and guest lectures.
Totally 30 guest lectures were conducted by different Departments on current topics to make the students aware of the latest researches in their field concerned.
- Department of Tamil along with VIT organised an international conference on the topic “Traditional Foods and Nature Care in Dravidian Languages” on 18th & 19th of March 2017.
- The Departments such as Chemistry, Microbiology, Tamil and Biotechnology conducted National level Conferences.
- Department of Chemistry conducted III National level conference on the topic “Recent trents in Chemical and Biological Sciences”
- Department of Microbiology conducted the National level conference on the topic “New Horizons in Molecular Biotechnology”
- Department of Tamil conducted one day National level seminar on the topic “Leadership and Quality” and workshop on “Literature Reviews”
- Department of Commerce conducted 3 state level workshops on the topic “Financial Planning for young investors- SEBI” , “Women Entrepreneurship” and Attitude and confidence building
- Department of Psychology conducted 5 days training Programme. The “Empowerment Of Adolescent Women Through Life Skills And Sports” – Chief Guest – Ms. CORINA (Netherland)
- Department of Management studies conducted 2 state level workshops on the topics “Improving personal effectiveness” and “Statistical tools and techniques using SPSS software”
- Department of Computer Science conducted state level colloquium and symposium and the Department of Mathematics conducted state level seminar on the topic “Mathematical Simulation and Approximations in Nanotechnology”
Resource person/Invited talk by staff members
Dr. P.N. Sudha acted as the chairperson and delivered invited talks on the following topics
- “Preparation and characterization of Functionalized Multiwalled carbon nanotube-grafted-Nanochitosan/Povidone/HAp Composites” in the International conference held at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
- “Nanochitosan- An efficient material tailored for different applications” in the “11thAsia Pacific Chitin and Chitosan Symposium & 5th Indian Chitin and Chitosan Society Symposium” Kochi, Kerela
- “Biopolymers for Biomedical Applications” in the National conference held as Voorhees College, Vellore.
- Rapporteur and session manager for the technical session on “Research and Consultancy” held by IQAC of Auxilium College, Vellore
- S.Mythili acted as the Moderator for the papers being presented in the international conference on lifting up the next generation women to meet cross cultural challenges organised by Department of Business Administration held at Auxilium College, Vellore.
- S. Mythili acted as the resource person for the NSS Special camp and delivered a talk on the theme “Role of NSS in the society.”
- R.Padmaja acted as a resource person in the Conference on “Enhancing quality research in higher education” at Auxilium College, Vellore.
- A.Sudarvizhi acted as a resource person in NSS Special camp and delivered a talk on the theme “Time management” and “Humanism” respectively held at Poocharam SHG community hall, Idayansathu, Vellore Conducted by DKM College for Women, Vellore on 25.12.2016 and Anaicut Village, Conducted by Voorhees College, Vellore on 05.03.2017 respectively.
- A.Sudarvizhi acted as a Member of Panel in the National seminar on Recent Trends in Banking held at Sacred Heart College, Tirupattur on 26.08.2016.
- T.Bharathi acted as a resource person in NSS Special camp and delivered a talk on “Humanism” and “Importance of National Service Scheme” held at ADW School, Olakasi Conducted by KMG College of Arts and Science, Gudiyattam on 29.01.2017 and 23.02.2017 respectively.
- K. Devi acted as a resource person in the National Level Seminar on “Recent Trends in Biochemistry and Biochemical Technology”- BIOKING-2017 and delivered a talk on the topic “Importance of Biochemistry and Biomedically active plants” held at King Nandhivarman College of Arts and Science, Thellar on 27th – 28th Feb 2016.
- R.Banumathy Acted as “Rapporteur” for ICSSR sponsored National Seminar on “Impact of Globalisation on Rural Livelihood: Opportunities and Challenges organised by P.G. and Research Department of Economics, Muthurangam Government Arts College, Vellore on 2-02-2017 and 03-02-2017.
- S.Santha Lakshmi acted as a Resource Person in NSS Special camp and delivered a talk on the topic “Time Management”.
- S.Santha Lakshmi acted as an evaluvator for Micro Teaching at VVNKM (CBSC) School, Vellore.
- K.Ameenal Bibi acted as a Resource person for the Mathematics Association meeting held on 17.02.2017 at Arignar Anna Government College(w), Walajapet.
- K.Ameenal Bibi acted as a Resource person for the “International women’s Day” celebration held on 08.03.2017 at Arignar Anna Government College(w) Walajapet.
- K.Ameenal Bibi acted as a Reviewer for the research papers for the National conference on “Pure and Applied Mathematics” at Kongunadu Arts and Science College (Autonomous), Coimbatore.
- G.Sujatha acted as the Resource person for the “International women’s Day” celebrations held Pallavan College of Education. She also served as a judege for the various competitions held at E.V.R.N. School and Tamil Valarchikazhagam, Vellore, A.A.A.College, Walajah, Bharathi Womens College, Kunnathur.
- V.Prabha acted as a resource person for the Biochemistry Association at Auxilium College, Vellore on 19.12.2016 and for Womens Day Celebration at DKM College for Women, Vellore.
- A.Vidhya acted as resource person for the guest lecture program at VIT university on 10th November 2016 and in the National level Drafting of Article for publication and proposals for funding projects at Dr. N.G.P Arts and Science College, Coimbatore on 9-10th Sept.
- J.Hemapriya acted as resource person for PG Biotechnology Association Inauguration at MMES Womens College, Melvisharam on July – 2016 and in a programme conducted by Dhina Thanthi’s “Vettri Nichiyam” at VIT University, Vellore on 15th April,2016
- Jasmine Elizabeth Pearl acted as resource person for Department Association Inauguration at Auxilium College, on 9th August, 2016
- V.P. Gayathri acted as a resource person for the Literary Club inauguration at MMES Women’s College, Melvisharam.
- A.Thendralarasi acted as a Resource person in a one day counselling program on “Personality Development- Psychological Approach at Government Men’s & Women’s ITI Cuddalore 14.09.2016 and 15.09.2016.
- A.Thendralarasi acted as a Resource person in a one day counselling for Department of Commerce program (Aided) on “Attidude building for College Students” At DKM College for women, Vellore on 09.09.2016
- A.Thendralarasi acted as a Resource person in a one day counselling program at Excel Matriculation Higher Secondary School,Vellore on 8.11.16.
- A.Thendralarasi acted as a Resource person in a one day counselling for Department of Commerce (Unaided) program on Stress Management At DKM College for women, Vellore.
- R.Geetha and Ms.K.Gowthami acted as resource persons for Child Development Program for Anganwadi workers at Arani and Arcot.
- J. Sonya acted as a resource person for Anemia Awareness program at Kaniyambadi- PHC.
Paper/Poster presentation by staff members
- Totally 147 papers were presented by our staff members in various international, national and state level seminars/conferences and workshops.
- 62 papers/posters in international level
- 82 papers/posters in national level
- 3 papers/posters in state level
Papers/Posters presented by the students
- Bhuvaneswari, M.Phil Microbiology Research Scholar got best poster award in national conference and G. Ragavi & Soghra, I M.Sc got best poster award in an international conference.
- Srivani and her Group of Computer Science Department got cash award of Rs. 9000 in intercollegiate youth mela held at Auxilium college, Vellore.
- Lions Club awarded S. Kavitha of Biotechnology – Best Performer Award for Silambattam
- Supriya Prasad of II M.Sc Chemistry got first prize, K. Bharathi of II M.Sc Chemistry got second prize, S. Manjula and R.Ramya and J. Rakshavi of II M.Sc Chemistry won third prize in the poster presentation in National Level Conferences organized by Department of Chemistry, D.K.M College for Women (Autonomous), Vellore.
- Sabina Mary.D and Mahalakshmi.P of II M.A HRM won 2nd prize in poster presentation in state level seminar organized by MMES College for Women on 06.09.16
- M. Suruthikeerthi and M. Archana of Foods and Nutrition Department won second and third prize respectively for best paper presentation in international conference organized by MKJ College, Vaniyambadi on 29.09.2016
- D research scholar Ms. S.Nathiya of Zoology Department –Won third prize in the poster presentation in International conference on Applications of Natural products and opportunities ahead-ICAN 2016 organized by B.S.Abdur Rahman University, Vandalur, Chennai from 02.08.2016 to 03.08.2016.
- D research scholar Mrs. Shaista Jabeen of Zoology Department won first prize in the paper presentation in one day State Level Seminar on 03.10.2016 at Arignar Anna Govt Arts College, Cheyyar.
- D research scholar L.Jagapriya of Zoology Department Won second prize in the paper presentation in a workshop organized by Golden Jubilee Biotech Park for Women, Chennai from 27.02.2017 to 28.02. 2017
- Bhuvaneshwari, of M.Phil Microbiology won I Prize in national level Symposium on 30.08.2016 organized by Adhiparasakthi college of science, Kalavai.
- P.Ragavi and Sogra, II M.Sc Microbiology won I prize in International Conference organized by Thiruvalluvar University from 15.02.2017 to 17.02.2017
- Totally PG – 138 and M.Phil-54 projects were completed by the students of various Departments like Chemistry, Commerce, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Food and Nutrition, Microbiology, Computer Science and Management Studies.
Details of publications by staff
We are proud to say that our staff members have published 21 book chapters, 112 Papers in International and National Journals.
147 Papers were Presented in International and National Seminar/conferences/Workshops. Our staff members have participated in 424 International, National, and Regional Conferences/Seminars/Workshops. 49 Professors served as Resource Persons in various International, National and Regional programmes.
Research scholars, U.G and P.G students of our college have done 319 oral and poster presentations in various International and National Seminars/Conferences/Workshops.
Activities of the Clubs
The office bearer of college union (Aided)
Student chairman Selvi. S.A.Gnanaprasunambigai, III-B.Sc. Chemistry
The office bearers of college union (Unaided) are
- PG Student chairman Selvi S.M. Suruthikeerthi, II M.Sc., Nutrition
- UG Student Chairman Selvi D. Sangeetha, III B.Sc., Microbiology
- On 20.07.2016, the College Union and its Allied Associations of aided stream were inaugurated by Thiru. Dr. S.Syed Shafi, Head, Professor of Chemistry, Thiruvalluvar University, Serkadu, Vellore and on 01.08.2016, for unaided stream Tmt. Sasikala Amarasurya, Former Head and Associate Profeessor of Chemistry, D.K.M. College for Women, Vellore.
- Fresher’s Day was celebrated on 20.07.16 to welcome the I year Students.
- On 15-08-2016 Dr.N. Thenmozhi, Associate Professor and Head, Department of Chemistry, hoisted the National flag and delivered the Independence day message.
- On 7thSeptember 2016 Teacher’s Day was celebrated. Dr. Ponselvakumar, Head & Associate Professor of Tamil, Sacred Heart College, Thirupattur, delivered the Teacher’s Day address and distributed the cash awards to the students for their best performance in the semester examinations.
- On 14.07.2016, an exhibition cum test drive was organized by Yamaha Motors, Vellore.
- On 29.08.2016 Film named “Sathanai” was screened to the students – as per the Direction of the Directorate of Collegiate Education, Chennai.
- On 22.08.2016, Rs. 7500/- was donated by the students to Indian Association for Blind, Madurai.
- On 18.10.2016, “Student’s awakening day” was celebrated in commemoration with Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam’s Birthday
- On 22.11.16 in commoratition of Communal Harmony Week and Flag Day, stamps were distributed to the students and the amount of Rs 1000 was collected and sent to Joint Directorate of Collegiate Education, Vellore Region.
- On 05.01.2017, Young voter’s festival was celebrated and various competitions were conducted. The program was inaugurated by Dr. M.A. Jayaraj, Joint Director of Colligiate Education, Vellore District, Vellore.
- District level intercollegiate competitions were conducted and the prizes for the winners was distributed by Mr. Raman, IAS, Vellore District Collecttor on 25.01.2017
- On 26th 2017, Dr. S. Mythili Associate Professor and Head, Department of of Commerce, hoisted the National flag and presented Republic Day message.
Yoga and Meditation club
All the Final year Zoology students attended the certificate course in ‘Yoga for Youth Empowerment’ in March. 2017, conducted by the Faculties from Manavallakalai mandram, Sankaranpalayam, Vellore.
- International Yoga Day was celebrated on 21-06-2016. 100 YRC volunteers participated.
- Awareness programme on International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Trafficking was held on 28/06/2016 at IRCS, Vellore District Bracnch. YRC Volunteers took part.
- Awareness Programme on “Voluntary Blood Donation” was organized on 01/07/2016. 120 YRC Volunteers participated. Dr. Latha Lakshmi M.B.B.S., D.G.O., M.S(O.G)., was the chief Guest.
- Blood Donation Camp was organized in the college campus on 22.7.2016. 30 Units of Blood were donated to Adukkamparai Medical College and Hospital, Vellore.
- ‘World Hepatitis Day’ was observed on 27.07.2016 Dr.B.Nandhini M.B.B.S., CMC, triggered awareness about the disease. 400 YRC Volunteers took part.
- HIV/ AIDS Awareness Programme was held on 09.08.2016 from 11.30 AM to 1.00 PM at D Block Conference Hall. Ms.Malliga Chandran, Director, WHEEL, Addressed the gathering. 500 YRC Volunteers were Participated.
- Geneva Convention Day was celebrated by organizing Elocution, Essay and Drawing Competitions on 17.08.2016.
- One Day District Level YRC Study Camp was held on 02.09.2016. 120 YRC volunteers from 16 colleges took part.
- One Day District Level Elocution Contest was held on 14.09.2016.
- 50 YRC Volunteers participated in the Rally from Nethaji Stadium to Gandhi Statue (Old Bus stand), Vellore on “International Disaster Reduction Day” Rally was organised. on 13.10.2016.
- YRC Program officer and 5 YRC volunteers participated in the 3 days YRC Zonal Camp at Thiruvalluvar university, Serkkadu from 25.10.2016 to 27.10.2016.
- YRC Program officer was the resource person for the National Youth Day celebrations at Thirupattur college of Arts and Science, Thirupattur on 05.01.2017 and at Kingston Engineering College on 12.01.17.
- ‘Road Safety Rally’ was organized by IRCS, Vellore District Branch on 18.01.2017. 300 YRC voulteers and YRC Program officer participated from 14 other schools and college (JRC,YRC members) took part.
- YRC Program officer and one YRC volunteer took part in the Inter-state YRC- State, YRC Study-cum-training camp at N.M. engineering college, Buvaneshwar, Odisha State from 27.01.17 to 31.01.17.
- Ameenal Bibi YRC programme officer acted as a resource Person for the YRC meeting at C.Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam, on 06.03.2017.
Citizen Consumer Club
On 28/02/2017 district level intercollegiate CCC competitions were conducted. 8 colleges from Vellore district participated. Various competition were conducted and prizes were given to the winners.
Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- One day Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp (19.07.2016- Tuesday) was conducted at D.K.M. College for Women in association with Government of Tamil Nadu Entrepreneurship Development Institute and Vellore District Micro and Small Entrepreneurs Association (VDMSEA). Two hundred students participated.
- Entrepreneurship awareness camp for three days (18-1-17 to 20-1-17) was conducted in association with CED Tamil Nadu, Madurai, partially funded by Department of Science and Technology. The programme includes two days technical session and one day industrial visit to Ambur, Naidu Hall garment industry, Tannery Effluent treatment plant and Ambur Sugar factory. Hundred and fifty five final year students participated.
- Totally 36 programmes were conducted in this academic year
- Various awareness programmes on International Yoga Day, Legal Literacy, importance of breast feeding, Voters awareness, AIDS awareness, health awareness were conducted. More than 400 students were benefited by this.
- “Youth Awakening Day” was celebrated on 18.10.2016. Dr. K. Kalpana, Assistant Professor of Tamil, A.A.A. Arts College, Walajapet addressed the gathering on the topic “Achievements of Abdul Kalam”. Dr. Vinayaga Moorthy, Librarian in Thiruvalluvar University, motivated the students by delivering a speech on the topic “Life history of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam”.
- On “World Population Day” (11.07.16) in association with Government Medical College, Vellore, human Rally was conducted from Gandhi Statue to Town Hall, Vellore.
- Blood Screening test was conducted by Government Hospital, Adukamparai, Vellore on 13.07.2016 and 15-02-2017. Nearly 300 students participated and 100 students were selected fit to donate Blood.
- In connection with World Suicide Prevention Day, Rally was conducted on 9.9.2016, from Vellore Taluk office to D.K.M College, Sainathapuram, Vellore. Signature campaign was also conducted. Dr. Zubaidha Sulthana, Psychiatrist, Meenakshi Medical College, Kancheepuram delivered a Talk on the topic “Say no to Suicide” Mr. Chandrasekar, Udavum Ullangal and Mr. Naveen, President, Lions Club of Vellore took part in the program. Prizes were distributed to the winners. An awareness regarding suicide prevention was created among the students by lighting candles.
- NSS special camp was conducted from 23.12.2016 to 29.12.2016 at A.D. Colany, NSK Nagar, Anna Nagar, Pudhur and Kurumbapalayam villages of Kaniyambadi Panchayat, Vellore District. Totally 200 students participated.
- On 3-2-2017 ‘Swacch Grata camp’ was done with 4 officials from Vellore Corporation, 200 NSS Volunteers participated in the programme.
- On 17-02-017, in association with Lions Club of Vellore City, Diabetic Awareness Campaign was conducted in the college premises. 500 students and 100 staff members participated. 100 staff members were screened for diabetes by CMC doctors.
- Rotract Club of DKMC was inaugurated on 10 August 2016 by Rtn V.Kamal, Rotract Club of Vellore presidency.
- Naasera Banu, II B.Sc. Zoology was selected as President, S.Pradeepa II Zoology was selected as Vice President and Ms Sara II B.Sc. Nutrition was selected as treasurer.
- Breast Feeding Awareness Program was organised on10 August 2016. Dr.Narmada Ashok, Consultant physician, Nalam Hospital, Vellore highlighted the importance of breast feeding.
- Awareness Program on Anaemia was given by Dr.Narmada Ashok, Consultant Physician, Nalam Hospital, Vellore on 01-2-2017. She spoke about balanced diet and gave few tips to our students about healthy living. About 10 Rotract members from our college gave a demonstration on simple asanas which will be useful for healthy life.
- Poster and Cookery Competitions were conducted on “Healthy Life Style” on 02-02-2017. 50 students took part in various competitons and prizes were distributed to the winners by President Rtn V.Kamal, Rotaract Club of Vellore Presidency on 09-02-2017.
- L.Nandha Kumar, Chief trainer, Greese consultancy, highlited the importance of interview skills and techniques to the final year students on 09-02-2017.
Fine Arts day
The Fine Arts Day was celebrated on 22.02.2017 and chief guest was Dr. U. Rama Prem., (Proprietor, Sri Mira Gems & Jewels), addressed the gathering about the importance of the ‘Role of students in the society’. Various competitions like Music, Dance, Cooking, Rangoli, Drawing, Hair do, Mehandi, Handwork, Saree designing, Folk dance, Flower bouquet, vegetable carving were conducted. The winners were awarded with certificates and prizes.
For the unaided stream, Fine Arts Day was celebrated on 30.01.2017. Nattiya Kalaimani, Mrs. Gayathiri Gopinath of Sri Krishna Kala Mandhir, Nattiya Palli, Sathuvachari, Vellore was the chief guest.
The Alumni Association meet was held on 29.01.2017. 600 Alumni attended the meet. Special Chief Guest, Vijay T.V Kalakapovathu Yaru famous “Arakkonam E. Dinesh”, Stand–up comedian staged a comedy show. The alumini members enjoyed their home coming by happy and fruitful discussions.
Anti Ragging cell
Antiragging cell co-ordinators of both day and evening college along with student representatives attended the meeting convened by the district collector on 18.07.2016 at Vellore collectorate. Regarding this further meeting was conducted on 27.07.2016 at 11.00 am in Principal’s office with H.O.D.s of all major Departments and student representatives of each class. Informed the students to follow the instructions regarding antiragging. There is a suggestion box kept near the principals office to receive the grievances from the students.
Women Development Cell
- Women development Cell conducted Imitation Jewellery Training Programme for 5 days from 29.08.16 to 02.09.2016 in collaboration with Central Palmgur and Palm Products Institute, Kadhi and Village Industries commission, M/O MSME Govt. of India.
- Artificial Jewellery Making Training program for 3 days from 15th December 2016 to 17th December 2016 in collaboration with District Supply and Marketing Society (DSMS), Vellore
- Women Development Cell inaugurated Cosmetology Certificate Course in Collaboration with Angel Beauty Parlour and Coaching Center for the aided and unaided students.
The Enviro Club in DKMC has started its 12th year of service to the students and college.
Ms. E. Hemalatha, II B.Sc., Zoology is the Secretary. An income of Rs. 1,20,000/- through cattle breeding, milk production, cultivating vegetables and greens using organic manure.
The club is supporting more than 16 self help group women for the improvement of their economical and social status.
A certificate course on “Solid waste Management” started under DKMC enviro club. It is an add-on course conducted after College hours. More than 50 second year students of various departments are undergoing this course.
The excellent academic records of our students do not end with the results. They get translated into fruitful career in several corporate. A few others pursue entrepreneurship in family business. I have pleasure to inform that 10 leading companies, schools and colleges conducted campus drive and 88 studets were placed.
- Career guidance program was conducted by Aptech solution and IBS, Chennai in our college premises on 23/12/2016 and 04/01/2017 respectively.
- Aspire system conducted campus interview in VIT University, Vellore and two of our students got selected.
- AGS Health conducted Campus interview in our college premises on 03/02/2017 and 34 students were selected out of 200 students.
- Cognizant conducted campus interview in VIT University, Vellore and one of our students got selected.
- Ask solution, Vellore, organized a training programme on Personality development on 11/02/2017.
- Audacious Dreams foundation conducted campus interview in our college on 14.02.2017. 10 out of 60 students were selected.
- Isquare technologies conducted Campus interview on 23.0.2017, 40 out of 155 students were selected.
- Nation star conducted Off Campus interview at VIT University, Vellore on 24.02.2017, one student was selected out of 100 students.
- We are happy to share that 16 second and third year B.A. History students have passed group IV TNSPC Exam.
Sports and Games
Our college team participated in all the sports and games conducted by the Thiruvalluvar University and the selection trials by the sports development authority of Tamil Nadu, Vellore District,
- Manjula -III B.Com was selected to participate in the state level Hand ball tournament and also she got Rs.7500/- as cash award.
This year we got 14 University blues in different sports and games.
|1.||K. Divya||I Bio-chemistry||Cross country|
|2.||M. Suganya||I M.A. HRM||Hockey|
|3.||K.Krithika||II B.Sc Maths||Table Tennis|
|4.||V.B. Indumathi –||III B.A English||Table Tennis|
|5.||P. Manjula||III B.Com||Athletics|
|6.||P. Manjula||III B.Com||Hand ball|
|7.||S. Maithreyee||III B.Sc||Cricket|
|8.||S. Mohanapriya||II B.Sc Maths||Cricket|
|11.||G Keerthana||III BCA||Cricket|
|12.||B.Divya||I BA English||Cricket|
|14.||R.Aswini||I M.A.||Foot ball|
Community Service/Extension Activities undertaken by the Departments
- Department of Commerce conducted extension activities at Panchayat Union Primary School, VOC Nagar, Vellore on 08.03.2017. 70 final year UG students participated in the programme.
- II & III B.Sc. Zoology students had given counselling in Chenganatha village, Vellore on “Stress Management” on 24th Dec 2016.
- Students of Biochemistry Department organised an Awareness programme on Adulteration in the college.
- III BSc students of Microbiology Department participated in mass tree plantation programme at sheep farm on 18th Feb, 2017
- Safina Selva of Pyschology Department along with 6 Students went to Katpadi boys school and conducted Stress management techniques for Board Exam Writing Students. M.Amudhaselvi being as Rehabilitation Practitioner in Best New Shelter School for children with MR and CP at Arcot, Vellore.
- Department of Commerce on 02.2017 visted Divine Mercy Old Age Home, Virupatchipuram, Vellore and donated 25 kgs of rice bag, 5 kgs of oil packets, and other provisions to the people at old age home.
- Students of Computer Science department participated in Ration card Verification (PDS) and Updation conducted by Government from 09/1/2017 to 12/1/2017.
- Students of Food and Nutrition Department organised Two days awareness program on Liver disease in Edayanchathuvillage, Vellore- on 6 & 7th march 2017.
Extra Curricular Activities
- 74 students of our college actively participated in the state level book review competitions conducted by Vivekandanda Kendra, Kanyakumari on 25.09.2016 at D.K.M. College, Vellore. Out of which 7 students were selected for the personality development camp at Vivekandanda Kendra, Kanyakumari.
- In connection with the celebration of conservation of wild life week, various competitions were conducted by Forest Office, Vellore Division, Vellore in District level on 24.09.2016 at Sri Venkateswara school. Vellore. S.Srimathi, II-B.Sc., Maths and M. Zaineb Fathima, III-B.Sc., Zoology won first prize in quiz competition and L. Ghousia, III-B.Com bagged first prize in Elocution competition in English.
- Our students participated in various competitions conducted by Islamiah college, Vaniyambadi and won prizes. U.V. Poovizhi of II B.Sc Maths won II prize in Elocution competition. V. Kalaivani Poovizhi of II B.Sc Maths won II prize in Essay writing competition. T.C Lavanya of II B.Com won I prize in Mehandi Competition.
- Vindhiya and V. Rajapriya of III B.Sc. Maths participated in various completions conducted by IRCS Vellore district branch and won prizes in English Elocution, English Essay, Puzzle Solving and Quiz.
- Vindhiya of III B.Sc. Maths won third prize at National quiz competition conducted by NMIET Odisha.
- V. Poovizhi of II Maths won a Cash Award Rs.1500 in Bharathidhasan Oppuvithal competition held at town hall, Vellore.
- Priyadharshini of III B.A History won II prize at Tamil Nadu State Level Marathon.
- Ghousia of III B.Com won various prizes in Elocution competition conducted by various organisations.
- Nithya of III BBA Won 1st Place in Poster making at Priyadharshini Engineering College, Vaniyambadi.
- Pavithra III B.Sc Chemistry won I Prize in Drawing and Elocution District level competitions.
- A.Gnanaprasanambigai III B.Sc Chemistry won I Prize in English Elocution District level competition
- Sharmila, Baby Sharmila, B.Bhavani, S.Padma Priya, S. Maqbuljan, I ISM won 2nd Prize in state level competition held on 31.01.17 at Marudhar Kesari Jain College, Vaniyambadi.
- Deepika, S. Asma of I BBA and S. Sharmila, V. Baby Sharmila, A. Sana Fahima, Maqbuljan. S of II ISM Won 2nd place in Corporate Walk held on 24.02.17 at Priyadharshini Engineering College.
- Rajalakshmi, B.Akshaya, V.Manjula Devi of ISM students won 1st Prize in Business Connection held on 22.02.17 at Priyadharshini Engineering College
- Rajalakshmi, B.Akshaya, of B.A English won prize in Quiz, PPT, JAM held at MMES College.
- Kuberasree of B.Sc Psychology won II Prize in Group Discussion on Adolescent issues held on 14.09.2016 conducted by ADF and UNICEF.
Visit to Education Institutions/Industries
- 25 students and two staff members of Department of Chemistry have attended OPEN DAY -2017, organised by CLRI, Chennai on 28.2.2017 in connection with Platinum jubilee celebration of CSIR. On 9th September 2016, 24 students of II M.Sc Chemistry visited the historical places in and around Puducherry.
- Department of Zoology organized Education Tour on 02.09.2016 to Centre for Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Parangipettai.
- On 17th and 19th February 2017, Department of History organized Educational Tour and visited important historical southern parts of Tamilnadu.
- 11 students of PG Biochemistry visited progressive leather Industries, Sipcot – Ranipet on 19.09.2016
- Department of Management organized Industrial visit to Sri Aurobindo Hand Made paper mill, Pondicherry on 23.03.2017 for PG and UG final year students.
- Department of Commerce organized Industrial visit Thiruvallam Sugar Mill, Ranipet on 14.03.2017 for III B.Com and M.Com Students.
- Department of Mathematics organized an Educational Tour to Hyderabad for both PG & UG students on 23.02.17 and 24.02.17.
- III B.Sc and I M.Sc students of Foods and Nutrition Department visited Hotel Surabi and Darling Bakery Unit on 21.02.2017 and 10.02.2017 to 11.02.2017.
- Department of Microbiology organized industrial visit to Pasteur Institute, Coonoor on 30.09.2016 and students visited Animal Husbandry, Mukundarayapuram on 18.02.2017.
Thus DKM College was highly vibrant throught the year. The management has the benevolent practice of distributing cash awards to meritorious students and the rank-producing departments. This year also the management is giving a cash prize Rs. 3,16,000/- for 85 students and 15 Departments.