D.K.M College for women was founded by a man born for the upliftment of the downtrodden women folk in the area, where service is needed and that great Soul is Amarar Vellore Vallal N.Krishnaswamy Mudaliar. To serve society through Education is the life mission of our benevolent and philanthropist founder. The mission is visualized through the foundation of NKM Trust. DKM college for women (Autonomous) established in the year 1972, is a pioneer Institution in providing quality and need based education through the efforts of Dr. T. Sivakumar, M.A., President and Thiru. D. Maninathan, B.E., Secretary of the college.
At present D.K.M College for women offers 19 UG courses (5-Aided, 14 unaided), 12 PG courses (unaided), 10 M.Phil., courses (unaided) and 12 Ph.D., courses (Full Time & Part Time). The College has a longstanding tradition of academic excellence and this is sustained by the advanced facilities. The college got autonomous status in 2006-07 and has been reaccredited by (UGC) NAAC in 2016. As a compliment for the excellent academic atmosphere prevalent in the college, the UGC has given autonomy extension for the next six years (till 2020).
The only way to do great work is to do with instinct and Intelligence to make right choices in the right time in the appropriate way. The College has a team of experienced, efficient and dedicated faculty who have a passion for teaching. The academic programmes are challenging at the college. We, at DKM college, strongly believe in the words, “The direction in which education takes a man, will determine his future life”.
Academic excellence is reinforced with
- Development of all round personality of the students through co-curricular and extra curricular activities.
- Moulding the students as good citizens of India with social commitments.
- Preparing them to face with confidence the challenges of the world among our students.
- To create and promote holistic and integrated development in rural women by imparting quality higher education.
- The vision stated above is translated into action through the following Mission statements.
- To enable students to achieve academic excellence through efficient teaching, meticulous learning and systematic evaluation.
- To enable students through relevant programmes and practices emerge as economically independent, personally upright, morally sound, culturally refined, spiritually aware and rich, socially responsible, nationally conscious, worldly wise, willing to transform and engender meaningful social transformation.
- The motto of the college is “ACT, ARISE and ACTIVATE” which is effectively symbolized by the College emblem. The emblem has four components viz. a tyre and a hand holding a hammer, a pair of hands pouring forth coins, young women in academic ropes and a lamp burning bright.
- The tyre and the hand with hammer stand for hard work, the pair of hands poring forth coins and the group of young girls in academic robes symbolize wealth generated through hard work and the same being utilized for educating the youth respectively. The lamp symbolizes the aim of the college which is to dispel the dismal fumes of ignorance and hope for the future.