Department of Microbiology
Year of Establishment
The Department of Microbiology, DKM College established in the year 1997 with UG Course, PG Course in 2001’s M.Phil in the year 2011. The departments so for produced 7 University rank at UG level and 11 University Rank at PG level includes the First Rank. The department has tried to meet the challenges of the ever-changing face of science by its outstanding faculty members and their research endeavours. The department has 6 teaching staff members and 1 non-teaching staff members.List of seminars organized by the Department
- State Level Seminar Science Fest 2003
- National Level Seminar Sizzling Microbe 2005
- State Level Seminar Emerging Trends in Microbiology 2006
- National Level Colloquium 2007
- National Level Symposium MicBio Windower2010.
- National Level Seminar on Marine Microbes2012.
- National Level Seminar on MDR & XDR Microbes 2014.
The Department organized workshops in collaboration with Medox Biotech India Pvt., Ltd., Chennai and with Chromous Biotech Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore. Orange Progene Pvt. Ltd., Chennai.
The faculties are aware of their needs of teaching like knowledge, communication skill and aptitude to bring the best of the students.
The following methods of teaching are used by the faculty members
- Interactive and innovative teaching
- Use of audio-visual aids.
- Regular tests, terminal exams and model exams
- Students seminars
- Regular assignments
- Project work for post graduate students
- Maintenance of department Notice Board
- Conduction of slip test at regular intervals
- Group discussion
- Conducting subject related quiz programmes.
The medical microbiology has a wider scope in the diagnosis of diseases in hospitals and in laboratories. Due to vast and fast development, many new industries (Pharmaceutical, food and dairy) have been developed for need of everyday life. Microbiologists have a vivid opportunity to work in quality control department to check the quality of the new product produced without contamination.
The waste water coming out from the industries should be treated and discarded. So the microbiologist also has a scope in the sewage treatment plan. Due to the importance of the subject the Microbiology has been started in school levels also, the PG microbiology graduates with B.Ed qualification can also work in schools as PG Teacher. Finally there are so many researches undergoing in numerous fields so there is scope of becoming a research scholar also.
Subject Offered B.Sc.
- Comp in Biology & Biostatistics
- MLT General principals of laboratory, anatomy and physiology
- Mushroom cultivation
- Principles of biology
- MLT Clinical pathology & hematology
- MLT biochemistry, histopathology
- Fermentation Technology
- Biofertilizer Technology
- MLT Clinical Microbiology
- Bioinformatics, Biostatistics & Research Methodology
- IPR, Bio safety & Human Rights
- Revised and updated curriculum
- Seminar compulsory in all units
- Compulsory project.
- Educational trips – IVPM, Ranipet, Vaccine research center Center for animal health sciences Madhavaram, Chennai, Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, Central Institute of Fisheries and Technology, Kochi.
The students of our department are well placed in various reputed institution.
Compulsory projects are given for PG students are encouraged to do the project in the department.
|S.No||Name of the item||Quantity|
|2.||Laminar Air Flow||2|
|3.||Dark Field Microscope||1|
|5.||Table top shaker with Illumination||1|
|6.||UV- Vis Spectrophotometer||1|
|Dr. A.VIDHYA||308MBUA01||Head & Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|Mrs. S.ARUNADEVI||308MBUA02||Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|Mrs. A. BARATHI||308MBUA03||Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|Dr.J.HEMAPRIYA||308MBUA04||Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|Ms.R.SANGEETHA||308MBUA05||Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|S.No.||Name and Nature of Programme||Date of the Programme||Title/Topic||Report|
|1||International Webinar||12.01.2021||Sustainable alternate for replacing plastics to avoid the effects of plastic pollution, sponsored by TNSCST||View|
|2||Virtual Workshop||15.02 2021.||“Disease models of Lab Animal Experimentation”||View|