Department of Chemistry
Year of Establishment
|M.Phil., Chemistry (Full time& Part time)||
|Ph.D., Chemistry (Full time & Part time)||
Scope of the Course
Chemistry has a wide scope in almost all the fields such as industries, research, teaching etc.,
- B.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Phil. Chemistry (Full time / Part time)
- Ph.D. Chemistry (Full time / Part time)
- Department of Chemistry – year of establishment 1972
- Department of Chemistry (UG) Aided year of establishment 1975
- Department of Chemistry (PG) Unaided – year of establishment 2006
- D Chemistry year of establishment 2008
- Phil Chemistry year of establishment 2009
UG: Ever year, students get ranks at the university level both under Madras University and Thiruvalluvar University. Especially the three students have secured first rank from Madras University during different years.
PG: The department produced three university ranks in the first batch itself.
Result: The department has produced (both UG and PG) consistently very good result every year. Always more than 85% result is produced and sometimes the department has produced 100% results also. Teaching Highlights
All the teachers are well experienced. 75% of the staff members are Doctorates. Many of the staff members in this department have cleared CSIR/NET and SLET exams. Many have registered for Ph.D and one member is already a research supervisor. They also give training for the CSIR/NET, SLET exams to the students.
Over head projector (OHP), PowerPoint Presentation (LCD), Molecular Models (Board and chalk)
- Any UG Chemistry graduate can go for higher studies in this college itself upto Ph.D.
- Both UG and PG chemistry graduates can get into courses such as Dialysis etc. in medical colleges and placed there itself.
- They can also prepare for UGC-CSIR fellowship and do research with stipend and also become teachers, lectures
- They can appear for various competitive exams like IAS, IPS, IFS, Central excise and get placed in good administrative position in government departments.
- They can also get into banks in different positions.
- Chemistry graduates have high job scope as chemists (in R & D lab, Quality control lab etc., ) in many industries like
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Fertilizer industries
- Clinical and Basic Sciences research organization.
- Post graduates in chemistry are in high demand in space research & defence research.
- They shine very well in teaching profession (both in schools and colleges).
- All the engineering college need good chemistry faculty in large numbers.
Many projects are funded by UGC, Tamilnadu State Council of Science and technology (TNSCST), Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), etc. Students pursue projects in industries like Biocorn, CLRI, State Universities etc.
- Smart class room for students.
- Well equipped and separate laboratories for UG, PG, M.Phil and Ph.D with all facilities.
- Well equipped classrooms for students for both UG & PG for all sections with proper Lighting & air circulation.
- Separate book bank is available.
- Department library with many books were available for reference of students.
- RO is available for drinking purpose.
- Two computers with printers.
- A Xerox machine.
- Scanning facility is available in the department.
- Fire extinguisher is available in the lab as well as in the department.
- Separate research room with free internet connection for both students and staffs involving in research activities.
- Separate staff rooms for both UG & PG.
|Name of the Instrument||Purpose|
|Electrospinning Machine||To produce charged threads of polymer solutions (fibres)|
|IR Spectrophotometer||To record IR spectra- identification of various functional groups|
|UV-Visible Spectrophotometer||To record UV spectra- Solution concentration analysis|
|Vacuum Oven with pump||To remove the moisture content present in the samples by creating vacuum.|
|Guoy balance||To measure magnetic susceptibility|
|Hot air oven||To dry the samples|
|Electronic balance||To measure the weight of samples|
|pH meter||To measure pH|
|Mechanical shaker||To attain equilibrium of solutions by shaking|
|Ultrasonicator||For solubility measurement|
|Water analysis Kit||To measure BOD, COD, Alkalinity, Acidity.|
|Digital Potentiometer||To measure EMF|
|Digital Conductometer||To measure conductance|
|Polarimeter||To measure optical activity|
|Fluidised Bed Reactor||Column studies|
|Water filtration (fabricated)||To filtrate the samples|
|Ultrafiltration Cell glass assembly||Membrane filtration|
|Centrifuge Machine||To separate the suspensions and emulsions by the rotation of sample around the fixed axis-|
|Magnetic Stirrer||To rotate the sample using the magnetic pellet|
|Electrical Stirrer||To rotate the sample using the electrical connection|
|Photoelectric Colorimeter||To measure the optical density of the samples (absorbance or transmittance)|
|Laboratory homogeniser||To homogenize various types of material, such as tissue, plant, food, soil, and many others|
|Dr. T.GOMATHI||308CHUA01||Assistant Professor & Head||Click Here|
|Mrs. J.SARANYA||308CHUA02||Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|Dr.D.SHAKILA||308CHUA03||Assistant Professor||Click Here|
|S.No.||Name and Nature of Programme||Date of the Programme||Title/Topic||Report|
|1||FDP||04.05.2020 to 10.05.2020||Faculty Development Program On Gchempaint And Libreoffice|
|2||National level quiz competition||30.05.2020 to 05.06.2020||Chemistry in Everyday life|
|3||Webinar IGCAR||21.01.2021||Need For Nuclear Energy||View|
|5||Webinar||18.02.2021||Conducting Polymers and their Applications||View|
|6||Hands on training cum workshop||19.02.2021||Detection of food adulterants||View|
|7||Certificate course||08.02.2021 to 24.02.2021||Cosmetics and Toiletries||View|
|8||Guest lecture||26.02.2021||Opportunities in Chemical And Pharmaceutical Industries||View|
|9||Association meeting||04.03.2021||Natural and manmade things in Chemistry||View|