COLLEGE DAY REPORT 2018-2019
Excellence is never accidental. It is the gradual result of striving day after day to do better. It is doing small things in a great way so that greatness becomes a habit. DKM College for Women has always been known for its quest for excellence and as we stand at the fag end of another fruitful academic year, it is with satisfaction that I look upon the year that was and it is with pride that I place on record the activities of the college for the academic year 2018-2019.
Students Performance in the University Examination during April 2018
Department s Percentage
|B.Sc. Nutrition Food ServiceManagement and Dietetics||92|
|B.Sc. Computer Science||83|
|M.Sc. Computer Science||100|
|M.Sc. Foods & Nutrition||100|
|M.Sc. Applied Microbiology||96|
|M.Phil. Computer Science||100|
|M.Phil. Management studies||100|
Details of Ph.D awardees
One Part time Research scholar Mrs.P.Ajitha was awarded Ph.D degree under the guidance of Dr.P.N.Sudha, Department of Chemistry.
Disbursement of Scholarship Amount
The following amount has been disbursed as scholarship during the academic year 2018-2019.
|No. of Students benefited||Amount in Rs.|
(Free Education scholarship)
|Community||No. of Students benefited||Amount in Rs.|
- The College received the first installment of Rs.75 lakhs out of the sanctioned Rs.95 lakhs as DST-FIST fund for the purchase of equipments and books.
- Department of Zoology conducted National awareness workshop on 10.10.2018 and 11.10.2018, on the theme Bio Diversity and Bio-Resources Conservation, with the fund of Rs.75000/- received from National Biodiversity Authority, Chennai.
Patent received by our staff member
|Name of the Faculty||Name of the Patent published/awarded||Patent Number||Year of Award|
|Dr. V. Kiruthiga||A process for producing silver nanoparticles impregnated surgical suture thread||299881||2018|
Benevolent Practice of Management
- The management has the benevolent practice of distributing cash awards to meritorious students and the rank-producing departments. This year also the management has given a cash prize Rs. 1,15,750/- for 662 students and 19 departments.
- The management has also distributed cash award of Rs.71, 045/- to the meritorious students during teacher’s day.
- The Management has contributed an amount of Rs.5,49,293/- towards the scholarship for the socially deprived students during the academic year 2018-2019.
- To encourage sports students, the University Blues were given Rs.1,65,000/- as cash awards.
- The retired staff members of our college have instituted various awards to the meritorious students of the departments, where they have worked. This award is given to the students every year in the name of different Endowment awards. This year we are distributing an amount of Rs.11369/- towards this award.
Add on Certificate Courses
Apart from the regular academic courses, Individual Departments offer various value add on courses.
- The Department of Commerce has conducted three add on certificate courses this academic year such as Salesmanship, Tally ERP 9, Accounting and Taxation.
- The Department of Zoology conducted add on certificate courses on Medical Lab Technology and Sericulture.
- The Department of History has conductedadd on certificate courses on Functional Hindi, E-Tourism and Epigraphy.
- The Department of Chemistry has conducted a certificate course in Cosmetics and Toiletries.
- The Enviro club of our college has conducted course on Solid Waste Management.
- The Women Development Cell was vibrant throughout the year conducting courses like Cosmetology and Artificial Jewellery Making.
The following staff members are retiring during the academic year 2018- 2019.
- R.Rani, Sweeper has retired on 30.06.2018.
- L. Sowmyalatha, Head & Associate Professor of Mathematics, retires on 31.03.2019.
Ph.D Awards received by our Staff members
|S.No||Name of the Faulty||Department||University||Year|
|2.||Dr. R.Radjavally||Economics||Thiruvalluvar University||2018|
|3.||Dr.A.Zarina Begum||History||Thiruvalluvar University||2018|
|4.||Dr.P. Savithri||History||Thiruvalluvar University||2018|
|5.||Dr.M.Logeswari||Physical Education, Sports & Science||Annamalai University||2019|
National /State Level Eligibility Test for Lectureship
- B. Arulmozhi, Assistant Professor of Computer Application has cleared the NET exam in the year 2018.
- R. Maheswari, Assistant Professor of Management Studies has cleared the SET exam in the year 2018.
- K.Kavitha, Assistant Professor of Mathematics has cleared the SET exam in the year 2018.
Staff members as Guide/Supervisor
- 38 staff members are acting as guides for the M.Phil scholars and 23 staff members are acting as guides for Ph.D research work.
- The following staff members were recognised as Ph.D. supervisors under Thiruvalluvar University, Serkadu, Vellore during this academic year.
- M.Nagarathinam, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- A.Sudarvizhi, Assistant Professor of Commerce
- A.Vidhya, Assistant Professor and Head of Microbiology
- E.Veronica, Assistant Professor of Management Studies
- K.Vijayalakshmi, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Details of grants received by Staff members
|Name of the staff||Year||Name of the project||Funding agency||Amount
|Dr. P.N. Sudha,
|2016-2019||WTI (Water technology Initiative): Development of nanochitosan / montmorillonite clay/polyvinyl alcohol nanofiltration mats for heavy metal containing tannery effluent treatment||Department of Science and Technology (DST)||37,35,000
Assistant Professor of Microbiology
|2017-2019||Synthesis of Bioplastics using poly hydroxy butyrate from Actinobacteria, evaluation of its biodegradation and in vitro ecotoxicity in plants||UGC Minor project||75,000|
Assistant Professor of Biochemistry
|2017-2019||Comparison of Cardioprotective effect of ethanolic extracts of Marine algae Sargassumswartzii, Ulvalactuca and Gracilariacorticata against Isoproterenol induced Myocardial Infarction||UGC Minor project||2,15,000|
|Dr. Vinita Ernest
Assistant Professor of Biotechnology
|6 months||Cloning and expression of VP28 gene in spinach using agroinfiltration by Peaq-HT vector||TNSCST||
Participation of our Staff members in Faculty improvement programme (Refresher course/Orientation Course)
|S.No||Name and Designation||Type of Faculty Programme|
Assistant Professor of Commerce
|Attended 21 days refresher course in Commerce at University of Madras, Chennai from 22.08.2018 to 11.09.2018.|
|2.||Dr. N. Jabena Begum
Assistant Professor of Physics
|Attended 28 days Orientation at Pondicherry University, Pondicherry from 01.06.2018 to 28.06.2018.|
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
|Attended Refresher Course in Chemistry at Bharathiar University, Coimbatore. from 4.7.2018-24.7.2018|
Assistant Professor of English
|Refresher course in English at Bharathiar University, Coimbatorefrom17.05.2018 to 06.06.2018.|
|5.||Mrs. R. Sarathy
Assistant Professor of English
|Attended Orientation course at University of Madras from 16.08.2018 to 12.09.2018.|
|6.||Dr. G. Shanthi
Assistant Professor of Tamil
|Refresher Course in Tamil at M.K. University, Madurai from16.11.2018 to 06.12.2018|
|7.||Dr. S. ThamaraiSelvi
Assistant Professor of Tamil
|Refresher Course in Tamil at M.K. University, Madurai from16.11.2018 to 06.12.2018|
Assistant Professor of History
|Refresher course in History at Madras University, Chennai from 8.11.2018 to 28.11.2018|
|9.||Dr. V. Kiruthiga
Assistant Professor of Zoology
|Refresher Course in Life Sciences at Sri Venkateshwara University, Tirupathi from 12.11.2018 to 01.12.2018|
Assistant Professor of Zoology
|Refresher Course in Life Sciences at Sri Venkateshwara University, Tirupathi from 12.11.2018 to 01.12.2018.|
Academic Council Members
- P.N. Sudha, Principal and Dr. M. Nagarathinam, Head and Associate Professor of Chemistry are the members of the Academic Council in Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore.
- M.Nagarathinam, Dr. L. Sowmyalatha and Dr.K.Devi are Members in TANSCHE -Formation of State integrated board of studies- Compatibility for Equivalence among courses offered in Colleges/Universities in Tamilnadu.
Chairman of Board of Studies
- The following staff members are acting as a chairman of board of studies in Thiruvalluvar University.
- M.Nagarathinam, Department of Chemistry
- K. Devi, Department of Zoology
- L. SowmiyaLatha, Department of Mathematics
Staff members as Member of Board of Studies in other colleges
The following staff members acting as a member of Board of Studies in other colleges
- V.P.Gayathri, Adhiparasakthi College of Arts & Science, Kalavai.
- R. Sarathy, Sacred Heart College, Tirupathur.
- G.Sujatha, Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam, AdhiParasakthi Arts & Science College, Kalavai.
- M.Jayasudha, C. Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam.
- L.Umamaheswari, C. Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam.
- Honours / Awards to the Faculty
|Name of the Staff||Name of the Department||Year||Type of Honours / Awards||Name of the Institution Inducted the award|
|Dr. K. Devi||Zoology||2019||Appreciation Award||Sri Akilandeshwari Womens College, Wandiwash|
|DR.M.Jayasudha||Economics||2019||Best teacher Award||Tamilnadu Teachers Association, Chennai.|
|Dr.S.Santha Lakshmi||Chemistry||2019||Best teacher Award||Tamilnadu Teachers Association, Chennai.|
|Ms. A.Sivasankari||Computer Science||2019||Best Supporting Project award titled“ Student Safety Management Using Wireless Arduino”||Theme” Traditional Science of Tamil Nadu” Chennai Science Festival” Government of Tamilnadu , Science city Chennai.|
|Ms. A. Sivasankari
Mrs. B. Arulmozhi
|Computer Science||2018||Best Researcher Award -2018||International Journal for Research under Literal Access|
|Mrs. V.Priyavadana||Computer Science||2019||Best Poster Presentation Award||Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT)|
|Dr.J. Hemapriya||Microbiology||2018||Best Paper award
|International conference on recent advances in biomedical
Department of Biotechnology, Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore.
|K. Tamil selvi,
|Tamil||2018||KalaignanaiViruthu||KaviyarasarKalai Tamil Sangam, Namakkal.|
|Ms.V.P.Gayathri||English||2018||Topper 1% in Online Certificate Course||NPTEL|
- All the 19 departments of our college conducted seminars, conferences, workshop, symposia and guest lectures.
- The Department of Tamil conducted an International conference on the topic “Aalumai Nookkil pen padaippulagu- Andrum Indrum” and an International workshop on “Padaippilakkiya Payilarangam”.
- The Department of Zoology, Commerce (Aided), Commerce (Unaided), Chemistry, Computer Science, History, English, Mathematics and Economics organized national level conferences, seminars and workshops.
- The Department of Biochemistry, Management studies, Microbiology, Psychology, Physics, Botany and Biotechnology organized state level conferences.
- Totally 16 Guest lecturers were organised by different departments on current topics to make the students aware of the latest researches in their fields.
- 16 departments of our college conducted Association meetings on various topics related to their field for the benefit of the students.
Resource person/Invited talk by staff members
Many of our staff members served as Resource Persons in various International, National and Regional programmes.
- D. Ramya, Assistant Professor of English,Acted as a resource person in “English Literary Association” organized by Seventh-Day Adventist Matriculation Higher Secondary School Vellore on 10.08.2018
- M.Manimozhi, Assistant Professor of English, acted as a resource person “Literary Fest” organized by Holy Cross College Arts and Science. Tirupattur on 02.03.2018
- M.Manimozhi, Assistant Professor of English, acted as a resource person in “Cultural Fest” organized by Sacred Heart College. Tirupattur on 27.11.2018.
- K. Shoba, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, acted as a resource person in the “Workshop” organized by Madras University on 30th and 31st July 2018 and Akshaya Computational Medicine Pvt. Ltd, Chennai on 17.01.2019.
- A.Vidhya, Assistant Professor of Microbiology, Inaugurated Microbiology Association and addressed on Biosafety levels in Auxilium college, Vellore on acted 19/07/2018 and “Addressed school students on Importance of science”in Holy cross Matriculation & Higher secondary school on 27/07/2018.
- J.Hemapriya, Assistant Professor of Microbiology, Chaired a session (Oral presentation) held in St. Mary’s College, Thrissur, Kerala on 27/07/2018 and in Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore, on 29th– 31stAugust, 2018. And chaired a poster presentation session at KMG College of Arts and Science, Gudiyattam on 27/08/2018.
- T.Bharathi, Assistant Professor of Commerce, addressed the NSS special camp volunteers on the theme “History and Importance of NSS” and “Healthy Youth for Wealthy India” organized at Ammanankuppam Village, Katpadi Taluk, Gudiyattam, Vellore organized by Thiruvalluvar Higher Secondary School, Gudiyattam on 24.Sep.2018 and Keelalathur Village, Katpadi Taluk, Vellore organized by KMG College of Arts and Science, Gudiyattam on 25th Dec 2018.
- G. Sujatha, Dr.G.Shanthi, Dr.S.Thamarai Selvi and Dr.S.Sasikala, Assistant Professors of Tamil, acted as a Judge in various Vellore District Level competitions such as Speech, Essay and Poetry Competition organized by Tamil Valarchi Kalagam at EVRN Higher Secondary School on the year 2018.
- G.Shanthi, Assistant Professor of Tamil, acted as a resource person in “Rotract Club Inagural [Motivation Speech]” and “Ilakkiyamandra vizha” held at Auxlium College, Vellore and C.Abdul Hakeem College Melvisharam in the year 2018. On the year 2019, she acted as the chief guest in the seminar conducted by Vellore DLR Arts and Science College, Arcot.
- S.Thamarai Selvi, Assistant Professor of Tamil, acted as a chief guest in the state level competition held at Bharathi Arts and Science College, Kunnathur, Arni.
- Sangeethalakshmi, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, acted as a resource person in “Foundation for CSR@Redington” held at Redington Foundation Mylapore, Chennai-4 on 25.02.2019.
- S.Santha Lakshmi, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, acted as a resource person in “NSS Special camp” held at Edayansathu Village, Vellore on 29.09.2018.
- R. Durga Devi, Assistant Professor of Foods and Nutrition, acted as a resource person in International Level Conference held at Mother Teresa Women’s University, Madurai in the year 2018.
- R.Safina Selva, Assistant Professor of Psychology, acted as a resource person in “Counselling programme on adolescence” held at Voorhees College on 8.10.2018.
- R.Banumathy, Associate Professor of Economics, acted as a resource person in Inauguration of Science, Maths and Social club held at V.V.N.K.M School on 22.06.2018.
- A.Amirthavalli, Associate Professor of History, acted as a resource person in “Inter school Competition” held at V.V.N.K.M School on 18.01.2019. Also she acted as the examiner for the PhD Viva-Voce Examination, at Dravidian University, Kuppam on 06.02.2019.
- K. Devi, Associate Professor of Zoology, acted as a resource person in “Annual Day Function” held at Ramakrishna Higher Secondary School, Ranipet, Vellore on 04.01.2019, “National Youth Day Celebration” held at V.V.N.K.M Hr. Sec. School on 12.01.2019, “Zoology Association” held at Arigner Anna Government Arts College, Walajapet on21.02.2019 and “National Science Day Celebration” held at Akilandeshwari Womens College, Wandiwash on 28.02.2019.
- K.Ameenal Bibi, Associate Professor of Mathematics, acted as a resource person in “Union Inauguration and Mathematics Association meeting” held at Abirami College of Arts and Science for Women, Gudiyattam on 14.07.2018, “Graph Theory and its Applications” held at S.F.R. College for Women (Autonomous), Sivakasi on 17.10.2018, “Mathematical Genius Srinivasa Ramanujan birth anniversary celebration (National Mathematics Day)” held at Kalavai College of Education, Kalavai on 22.12.2018. Also she acted as an Advisory and Review Committee member for the two days International Conference on Pure and Applied Mathematics, St.Joseph’s College of Arts and Science, Cuddalore.
Details of publications by staff
- This academic year our staff members have published book chapters, presented Papers in various International and National Journals, Presented papers in various International, National and Regional Conferences/Seminars/Workshops. The total numbers of papers published are 180 and book chapters 50.
Papers/Posters presented by the staff and students
- Many of our staff members from various departments are actively participation in various conferences / seminars/ workshops. The numbers of conferences / seminars/ workshops attended by the staff members are totally 222.
- Many of our UG and PG students, M.Phil and Ph.D., Scholars received various best oral and poster presentations in different state level, National level and International conferences. The number of oral/posters presented during this academic year is 48. More than 10 best oral and Poster presentation awards received inn different national and International conferences by our research scholars.
The completed and ongoing projects by the students of all the departments are UG and PG: 448, M.Phil: 39, Ph.D: 36
- The Department of Library Science and Department of Tamil together organized “The Reader’s Circle“thrfh; tl;lk”on 04.02.2019 to review the books written by various authors.
NPTEL Online Courses
- DKM College staff and students are very active in pursuing NPTEL online courses.
- During September to November 2018, 107 staff and studentsenrolled and completed various courses successfully. The College also had a few toppers in the NPTEL exams who are as follows.
- V.P.Gayathri, Assistant Professor of English got gold medal, S.Gayathri, C. Gayathri and V.Nisha won Elite certificates.
- The college is also in the 89th place in top 100 colleges, whereasthe total number of colleges participating in NPTEL during the last session was 753.
- 188 Staff and Students have joined currently various NPTEL online Courses during Jan- Mar-2019 session.
Activities of theClubs/Cells/Associations
College Union and its activities
- The College union and its allied associations (Day College) were inaugurated on Friday, 13th July, 2018. Dr.M.Jayasri Rani, Principal, KMG College of Arts and Science, Gudiyatam was the guest of the day.
- The College union and its allied associations (Evening College) were inaugurated on Thursday, 19th July, 2018. Dr.S.Mythili, Principal, Sri Akilandeswari Women’s College, Wandiwash was the guest of the day.
- As a part of International White Cane day contribution 2018, a voluntary donation of Rs.7500/- was sent to the Indian Association for blind, Madurai on 21.08.2018. This was done to support the education and rehabilitation of visually challenged people.
- Our college donated Rs.25,000/- to the Armed Forces Flag Day Fund on 20.09.18.
- The World population day, 2018 was observed in our college on 11th Jul, 2018. The students took an oath to keep population in check in the presence of Dr.M.Nagarathinam, Head Department of Chemistry.
- The Fresher’s day was celebrated on 20.07.18 at our college premises to welcome the first year students of the college.
- Students film festival was organized in the college “Kulanthaigalin Maveeran Shivaji” was shown during 13.07.18 and 16.07.18.
- The Independence day was celebrated on 15.2018 with usual fervour. Dr.L.Sowmyalatha, Head, Department of Mathematics was the guest of the day who delivered the Independence Day message.
- The college conducted a State level Awareness Programme “Say No to Plastics” on 7.8.2018. Students from various other colleges participated in elocution, essay writing and drawing competitions. The winners were selected by a panel of judges from the college.
- A State Level Essay Writing Competition on National Integration and Communal Harmony was conducted at our college on 20.9.18. Students from 7 colleges affiliated to Thiruvalluvar University, Serkkadu, Vellore participated in this competition. First three winners were selected.
- Teachers day was celebrated on 5.9.2018. Mr.N.Kumarasamy, Headmaster (Retd.), Union Middle School, Melnagar, Arni was the guest of the day.
- RashtriyaEktaDiwas (National Unity Day) was observed on 31.10.18 with a Rally and a Pledge on the theme was taken by our students.
- Our college conducted dengue awareness program at our adopted village, Edayansathu on 12.12.2018.
- “Plastic Free Pongal” was celebrated at our college on 11.01.2019 in association with Regional Tourism Office, Vellore. The Honourable Collector of Vellore ShriS.V.Raman was the guest of the day.
- The Republic day was celebrated at our college on 26.01.2019 Dr.K.Devi, Head, Department of Zoology was the chief guest.
- As a part of the World Tourism Day, 2018 celebrations, the Tourism department conducted an elocution competition on the theme “Tourism and Digital Transformation”. Our student K.Hemashalini of III. B.Com won the II prize.
National Service Scheme
The NSS units of the college conducted various programmes such as International Yoga Day on 21.06.2018, Drugs abuse eradication Awareness Camp on 26.06.2018, World Population day on 11.07.2018, Dengue Awareness Day and Distribution of Nilavembu kudineer on 27.07.2018, Onam Celebration on 25.08.2018, Plastic Awareness Camp on 25.08.2018, Krishna Jayanthi Celebration on 03.09.2018, Swatch Bharat Summer Internship Programme on 07.09.2018, Observation of Suicide Prevention Day on 10.09.2018, Disaster Management Rally on 15.09.2018, World Ozone Day on 18.09.2018, , Sardhar Vallabai Patel Birth Anniversary celebration on 30.10.2018, celebration of Safe Diwali on 31.10.2018, World AIDS awareness camp on 05.12.2018, Blood donation camp on 06.12.2018,Tsunami observation Day on 26.12.2018, Plastic Awareness Rally on 10.01.2019, National Voters Day awareness Rally on 25.01.2019, New Voters enrolment on 28.01.2019, National leprosy awareness Rally on 31.01.2019.
Apart from the regular activities, the College NSS Units have also conducted a 7 days special camp at Edayansathu Village from 25.09.18 to 01.10.18. 200 students participated in this camp. Four NSS Programme Officers of the college attended plastic awareness meeting at Collector Office, Vellore. The Joy of Giving Week was celebrated from 03.10.2018 to 09.10.2018.
Youth Red Cross
- Our college YRC conducted many activities this year such as World Yoga Day, World Population Day, Geneva Convention Day. Various competitions were also conducted by our YRC such as District Level drawing competition on the topic “A beautiful world starts with you” District Level Elocution Contest on the topic, “Discrimination against Women: Due to Caste (or) Class Differences”.
- Our YRC District organizer participated in Inter-state YRC study camp from 04.03.2019 to 08.03.2019 at Karunya University, Coimbatore.
- 10 YRC Volunteers from Tamil Nadu Led by Dr. K. AmeenalBibi attended Indian Youth Parliament Meeting from 15.09.2018 to 17.09.2018 at Jaipur.
- The YRC unit of our college organized a One day seminar on “Women Empowerment” on 29.10.2018(Monday).
- T.Bharathi, YRC Programme Officer participated in the “One Day Zonal Level Orientation Programme for YRC Programme Officers” sponsored by Indian Red Cross Society, Tamilnadu Branch conducted at Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore on 12.10.2018.
- Our YRC District co-ordinator acted as a resource person for the one day YRC zonal meeting for YRC programme officers on 12.10.2018 at Thiruvalluvar University, Serkadu and the YRC meeting on 19.02.2019 organized by Arignar Anna Government Arts College, Walajapet.
Red Ribbon Club
The World AIDS Day was observed by our Red Ribbon Club on 3.12.2018.
Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Our College EDP Cell conducted a three day entrepreneurship awareness camp for final year students on 1st, 2nd and 4th March 2019, which had a two day technical session and one day Industrial Visit.
- Our EDP Nodal Officer Dr.K.Devi received appreciation certificate from the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (Tamilnadu), Madurai, for her service in conducting the EDP Programme successfully for the past 10 years at our College.
Citizen Consumer Club
In association with citizen consumer club the Department of Commerce organized two days extension activity in Government high school Edayansathu on Consumer Awareness during 05.12.2018 and 06.12.2018.
Yoga and Meditation Club
In association with Manavalakalai Mandram, Sainathapuram the Yoga and Meditation club Conducted 10 days certificate course on Yoga and Meditation from 10.12.2018 to 26.12.2018 for Non Major yoga students.
- The Rotract club activities were inaugurated on 11.07.2018 by the Chief Guest Rtn J.HARI, club president. The students went on a rally for the awareness of road rules and the importance of wearing helmets on 01.08. 2018. Rotract club of D.K.M College for Women along with NSS Conducted a Medical camp for eye check up and bone density check up for the village people in Edayasathu. Nearly 500 people from that village got benefited from this medical camp.
The career and guidance and Placement cell organized an Awareness Programme on Interview techniques on 07.09.2018. The resource Person Miss.Shamina Begum from HCL limited delivered an address on various skills required to face interviews. A two days programme on “Soft Skills” and 3 days Training programme on interview skills were conducted.
Various companies came for campus drive during this year and totally 103 candidates were selected and the details are as follows.
- 6 students were selected for AGS health centre, Vellore
- 28 students were selected in ALLZONE, Vellore
- 7 students were selected in WICE, Trichy
- 62 students were selected in HDFC Bank.
Anti Ragging Cell
- The College Anti Ragging cell is very active and the periodical reports are sent to the honorable District Collector, Vellore and Director and Regional Joint Director of Collegiate Education. The Pamphlets with instructions on anti ragging and undertaking were distributed to create awareness among the students and parents. A complaint box is placed in the college campus, to enable the students to offer their complaints. We are proud to say that our college is cent percent ragging free.
- The Alumni Association Meeting was held on 27.01.2019. About 700 Alumni enjoyed the happy home coming. They were provided with delicious food and mementos. The Alumni contributed generously for the association fund.
Women Development cell
- The Women Development Cell organized a three days Youth Empowerment Programme on the topic Yoga for Life Skills during 09.10.2018 and 11.10.2018 with an extensive service from Redington Foundation. Dr. Hema and Priya Menon from Art of Living International Center, Bengaluru explained the theme through Yoga and breathing exercises.
- The Women Development cell in association with the Postal Department of India has conducted a National Level DhaiAkhar Letter Writing Campaign on the theme “Letter to my motherland” on 11.10.2018 and 12.10.2018. Mr. P.Komal Kumar, Senior Post Master, Vellore Head Post Office was the guest of the day.
- The Women Development Cell conducted an Artificial Jewellery Training programme for 3 days from 06.02.2019 to 08.02.2019 in collaboration with the Department of Rural Development, Tamilnadu. 72 students from various departments were benefitted by the training.
- The Women Development Cell also conducted Cosmetology Certificate Course in collaboration with Mahitha Beauty Care Centre. 70 students registered and they were taught the basic and advanced beautician course.
- The Women Development Cell in association with College Union organized the Women’s Day celebrations on 08.03.2019. Mrs. M.A. Sneha Parthibaraja, Advocate, Thirupattur was the guest and addressed the students on “Empowering Indian Women”.
Fine Arts Association cell
- The Fine Arts Associations conducted various competitions such as Pencil sketch, Mehandhi, Hair Do, Jewellery making, Saree Designing, Bouquet Making, Cooking, Vegetable and Fruit Carving, Handwork, Song, Kolam, Rangoli and Dance. Dr. P. Balasubramanian, Head, Department of Tamil, Sacred Heart College, Thirupattur was the Chief guest for the aided stream and “Natiyakalaimamani” Mrs.K.Usha, founder of “Sri Natarajar Natiyalaya” Vellore, was the chief guest for the unaided programmes.
TheEnviro club generated an income of Rs 86,000/- through cattle breeding, milk production, cultivating vegetable, greens through organic manure and vermiculture technology.
Extra Curricular Activity Cell
The Extra Curricular Activity Cell of our college motivated the students to participate in various events conducted by other colleges. To mention a few:
- Our students participated in various State level /District level competitions held at colleges such as C.Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam and Voorhees College, Vellore and won prizes.
- Marudhur kesari Jain College, Vaniyambadi conducted a Cultural Competition on 22.08.2018 in which our student R. Srinidhi I B.A.,History won the II Prize.
- The Tamil Development department of Vellore District conducted poem, essay and speech competition on 11.9.2018. J. Tamil selvi of II B.Sc.Mathematics participated and won a cash award for Rs. 10,000/-.
- Our College students participated in the inter collegiate cultural competitions conducted by Kamban Arts and Science, Tiruvannamalai and won the overall
Sports and Games
Annual Sports day was celebrated on 14.08.2018 and the Chief guest was Dr.Syed Shafi, Head & Professor of Chemistry, Thiruvalluvar University was the chief guest of the day.
- Our college team participated in all the sports and games conducted by the Thiruvalluvar University and the selection trials by the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu, Vellore District. A few of the sports activities undertaken during this academic year are as follows:
- On 3rd to 5th August 2018, The Tamil Nadu State Hockey Association organised the Women’s League Hockey Tournament at Radhakrishnan stadium, Egmore. The College Hockey team won the 5th place in the event.
- On 18th August 2018, The Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India (AKFI) conducted open women’s senior tournament at G.H.S. school, Banavaram. The College Kabbadi won the second place and a cash award of Rs. 2500/-.
- On 27th August 2018 Thiruvalluvar university conducted an inter collegiate Kabaddi tournament at Sri Akilandeswari women’s college, Vandavasi. The College team was the runners and 4 players were also selected to participate in the inter-division Kabaddi match at KNC College for Women, Cuddalore held from 29-8-2018 to 31-8-2018.
- On 14 &15 September 2018, Thiruvalluvar University conducted an inter-divisional volleyball match in the college campus and the college volleyball team were the runners.
- Our students P. Yogeswari, I BA History, S. SandhiyaPriya, I BA History and A. Sudha, I BA English were selected to participate in South Zone Inter University volleyball tournament at KL University, Guntur.
- On 27th& 28th September 2018, Thiruvalluvar University conducted inter collegiate & inter division hand ball tournament at Arcot Sri Mahalakshmi College, Arcot. Our students M.Arthi, III BA History and A.Sudha, I BA Englishwere selected and participated in south zone inter university hand ball tournament which was held at Paavai engineering college, Namakkal.
- Maithreyee, II MSc Bio Chemistry, D. Ramya I MA History, R. Subashini I BA English were selected as University blue’s and were the runners up in the South Zone Inter University Foot ball Tournament held at Madras University, Chennai & they participated in the All India inter university football tournament held at GNDU, Amritsar, Punjab.
- On 15th& 16th October 2018, Thiruvalluvar University conducted inter division Hockey & Ball Badminton Tournaments at M.K.J.C college, Vaniyambadi. Our college hockey team were the winners and the ball badminton team got 3rd 7 of our hockey players were selected to participate in the south zone Inter University Hockey Tournament held at Alagappa University, Karaikudi. Two of the ball badminton players were selected to participate in South Zone Inter University Ball Badminton Tournament held at Krishna University, Machilipatnam (AP).
- On 29th & 30th October 2018, Thiruvalluvar University conducted Inter Division Boxing Tournament at BPJ Arts & Science College, Srimushnam. Our students S. Priyadharshini II MA History & S. Suganya III CS got the 1st
- On 9th November 2018, The ThiruvalluvarUniversity conducted internal Division Athletics mee. S. Maitreyee II M.Sc Bio Chemistry got the 1st place in Javelin Throw. She was selected to participate in the All India Inter University Tournament held at Mangalore University, Karnataka.
- On 21st& 22nd January 2019, Thiruvalluvar University conducted an inter-collegiate cricket match at Auxilium College, Katpadi. Our College Cricket team were the runners up in this match.
Visits and Tours
Most of the departments organised educational tours and industrial visits to various outstanding institutions and industries for Industrial exposure and also to encourage our students to develop their skills.
Free Coaching Centre
The management has sponsored the free IAS/IPS Coaching centre for the benefit of the final year students and the alumni of the college to crack the competitive exams. With the support, guidance and encouragement of our benevolent management, we were totally vibrant in conducting various activities throughout the year.
I thank the almighty for His countless blessings- big and small, that rendered this year successful and beautiful. To conclude, I quote Shakespeare “it is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves”. As I lay down the Annual report, I envision a glorious future for DKM College for Women in serving the cause of the uplifting of women through quality education and pray the loving God to give us the necessary strength towards the striving and achieving of it. Thank You.